An app for passionate knitters
Love Knitting is an online platform for makers that allows them to browse and buy materials and share their creations with the rest world. Present in Europe, the US and Australia, their site combines an eCommerce platform selling supplies for knitting and crochet with a social platform and online community.
What I did
- As Lead UX, I was fully responsible for the user research, design and testing.
- Ran workshops with stakeholders from different departments to gather insight, refine the project requirements, agreed and prioritise project goals and success criteria.
- Used focus groups of knitters and conducted multiple user interviews (remote and in-depth face to face interviews) to reveal their main motivations, mental models and knitting process.
- Created a competitor analysis with similar existing products, and identified the reasons why these hadn’t been successful (most users were aware of these solutions, but they still wouldn’t consider using them as part of their everyday life). This helped provide inspiration and points of discussion for the stakeholder team, with everything from user journeys and interface design to product structure up for debate.
- Used personas to narrow down the list of features based on real user needs and created the user journeys to map out the functionality of the app.•Produced a range of rapid, throwaway sketches to quickly iterate through ideas and help us find the best solution.
- Created wireframes for the key screens and created medium-fidelity interactive prototypes using a combination of tools (Marvel, InVision).
- Using the prototypes, carried on several moderated usability testing sessions to help refine the product and minimise the risk of launch.
The first version of the app was soft-launched in August 2016. Since then it has had thousands of downloads, with a high number of new user registrations. The app obtained high ratings in the App Store (average: 4.8/5 stars) and glowing customer reviews until it was retired in February 2021.
1x Product Manager
1x UX Designer
1x Visual Designer
1x Front end developer
2x IOS Developers
Project date: 2016